Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day Five

My fifth day of my internship also marked the end of my first week of this internship. The days have gone by so quickly and it feels like I've been here forever. Countless chicken butts checked, poop picked up, and I have tripped and either landed on my face or "gracefully" stumbled in front of everyone exactly one infinity times.

Today was also a first. Because the internship is six weeks long and we don't have just lions, tigers and leopards, we got our new assignments. For the next few days I'm assigned to the small compound. It's a nice break. :)

Don't get me wrong. I love working with the big critters. I really do. But the part that stinks is that we don't get to interact directly with the large cats (for obvious safety reasons). We aren't allowed to enter their habitat with them still in there, we aren't allowed to touch them, and we aren't allowed to get too close to the fences. When you are around the big cats your guard has to be up. The smaller animals can be dangerous, yes, but you're more in danger of getting bitten or scratched than eaten.

Let me tell you. It is so cool! The servals and jungle cats know when it's feeding time and are crowded up against the fence. To feed them you basically take grill tongs, hold a rat with it, and offer it to a serval or jungle cat, then they'll take it and pull it through the fence. The wolves have to be moved into another area by the keeper, but once that has been done we're free to enter and clean up.

By the scattering of the poop, I have to wonder if the wolves poop while running. They're far more scattered than my old dog's (who did the squat-walk poop).

But one of my absolute favorites (and all of the animals are my favorite) are the New Guinea Singing Dogs (colloquially called "singers"). You can actually enter their habitats with them.

I have to back up a little here and explain. When I first found the Conservators' Center website, I read about every single animal on there, and looked at their pictures. The singers seemed to be regular dog-sized (which by my definition is about 40-60 pounds or larger. I like big dogs). Imagine my surprise when they're actually the size of miniature schnauzers or beagles. They are ridiculously cute and very affectionate. They are each paired male-female because males do not get along with males, and neither do females with females.

If one so desired, they could pet one of these dogs. With what I hope is common dog etiquette among everyone, you should approach a dog at its level with your hand out so that the dog can smell your palm. Instead of on the top of its head, one should pet a singer under the chin. Also, do not try to go after a dog to pet it. You cannot make the dog do what you want, and that includes having him let you pet him.

Other than the servals, wolves, and singers, the interns were allowed to enter the kinkajou and genets' enclosures. They are both nocturnal species, and we had to check their dens anyway to ensure that they looked healthy. An intern and I also went in the lemurs' habitat. We basically had to clean up after them, change their water and place new bowls, plus hide treats for them.

After lunch, we continued work on Oliver's habitat while he and his kittens looked on.

The result from being outside so much? Carolyn shoved sunblock in my face and made me put it on. I still burned.


No comments:

Post a Comment